Current:Home > ScamsA voter’s challenge to having Trump’s name on North Carolina’s primary ballot has been dismissed -Streamline Finance
A voter’s challenge to having Trump’s name on North Carolina’s primary ballot has been dismissed
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:20:57
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina’s election board threw out on Tuesday a voter’s challenge to keep former President Donald Trump off the March presidential primary ballots that argues that the Constitution disqualifies Trump because of his role in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.
The State Board of Elections, composed of three Democrats and two Republicans, voted 4-1 to dismiss the candidate challenge made by Brian Martin, of Stokes County. The majority determined that it lacked the authority in state law to consider such a challenge. The rejection of the challenge could be appealed to state court.
Martin, a business consultant and retired lawyer, wrote that Trump wasn’t qualified to be president because he violated a section of the 14th Amendment that bars from office anyone who once took an oath to uphold the Constitution but then “engaged” in “insurrection or rebellion” against it. The provision was used primarily after the Civil War to keep former confederates out of government.
Trump opponents argue the section applies to the ex-president for his part in trying to overturn the 2020 presidential election and encouraging his backers to storm the U.S. Capitol. Lawsuits in other states seeking to keep him off the ballot have been unsuccessful.
Board members said Tuesday that the ruling didn’t prevent someone from trying to challenge Trump’s candidacy for the general election should he win the GOP nomination, WRAL-TV reported. Siobhan Millen, a Democrat and the lone vote against dismissing the challenge, said the board was “hiding behind a technicality” to avoid the issue now.
The dismissal came as the state board gave initial approval to names of the presidential candidates that will be on the March 5 primary ballots for the Democratic, Republican and Libertarian parties.
The board approved the candidates offered by party leaders earlier this month. The board will meet Jan. 2 to consider additional names before ballots are printed.
State law directed the parties earlier this month to provide lists that must have candidates “whose candidacy is generally advocated and recognized in the news media throughout the United States or in North Carolina.”
The state Democratic Party listed only President Joe Biden. Other announced candidates like U.S. Rep. Dean Phillips, D-Minn., and Marianne Williamson were omitted.
In addition to Trump, the state GOP’s letter identified Ryan Binkley, Chris Christie, Ron DeSantis, Nikki Haley, Asa Hutchinson and Vivek Ramaswamy. The Libertarian Party listed 10 names for their presidential primary ballot.
The Green Party and the No Labels Party also are official parties in North Carolina. They can offer presidential tickets in 2024 to place on the general election ballots.
veryGood! (977)
Related
- Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
- 'The Traitors' Season 3 cast: Which reality TV stars are partaking in murder mystery
- Maura Healey, America’s first lesbian governor, oversees raising of Pride flag at Statehouse
- MotorTrend drives Porsches with 'Bad Boys' stars Will Smith and Martin Lawrence
- USA men's volleyball mourns chance at gold after losing 5-set thriller, will go for bronze
- How Ariana Grande's Brother Frankie Grande Feels About Her Romance With Ethan Slater
- Angel Reese back in action: How to watch Chicago Sky at Washington Mystics on Thursday
- Supreme Court sides with Native American tribes in health care funding dispute with government
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Center Court
Ranking
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- From 'Saving Private Ryan' to 'The Longest Day,' D-Day films to watch on 80th anniversary
- Black Music Month has evolved since the 1970s. Here’s what you need to know
- 'The Traitors' Season 3 cast: Which reality TV stars are partaking in murder mystery
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- AI ‘gold rush’ for chatbot training data could run out of human-written text
- Man charged with killing Indiana police officer dies in prison while awaiting trial
- Trump's potential VP picks just received vetting documents. Here's who got the papers.
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
A timeline of the investigation of the Gilgo Beach killings
Records expunged for St. Louis couple who waved guns at protesters. They want their guns back
NTSB begins considering probable cause in a near-collision between FedEx and Southwest planes
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Kentucky Democratic governor pushes back against Trump-led attacks on electric vehicles
Selma Blair Shares Health Update Amid Multiple Sclerosis Remission
Over 20,000 pounds of beef products recalled for not being properly inspected, USDA says